Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Work of Art : The Next Great Artist.


While channel flipping last weekend I found this show on Bravo. Work of Art : the Next Great Artist. I'm not a big fan of reality television but because this show is about art I stopped and watched for a few minutes and ended up watching the whole episode. Actually, I really enjoyed it and will continue to watch to it's end. Now I have to see who wins the competition. So here's the premise of the show. Each week a group of contestants (all are working artists) are given a challenge of creating a unique piece of art in a variety of mediums such as painting, sculpture, collage, industrial design, photography etc. After the deadline, the creations are shown in a gallery setting and the judges choose the worst piece of art and that contestant must leave the group and the competition. You can read the show description here at Bravo.ca and here at Bravo.com Fun to see how each artist handles the challenge and the thinking and creativity that goes into it. The episode that I saw was a tame one as I found out reading about the show on the U.S. site. There are some pretty racy and shocking artworks created in some of the challenges. Those episodes might be challenging for me to watch as I'm really not partial to avant guard or shock art.