Thursday, November 6, 2008

Artistic Self Doubt



Something strange is happening. Well, it's not that strange really, just a new experience for me as I sit here amongst the total clutter and chaos of my studio. First of all let me tell you that I hate clutter-absolutely hate it!! It drives me crazy and stresses me out in a major way. So the way my studio is at the moment is starting to freak me out a little. I've been at this for only about 3 hours today and I can't seem to find what I need at the moment under the clutter, so I'm taking a short break. It's going to take me at least an hour to straighten up and get everything off the dining room table-before I even start dinner tonight. But back to the new experience. Working with mixed media is somewhat new to me. I mean I've done it now and then and I loved it way back in elementary school. Cutting and pasting, finger painting, art was my favorite subject all through school, but the mixed media work is just so very different from my landscape painting. Now don't get me wrong, I'll still be doing landscapes, it's what I've become known for and my landscapes sell well through my handful of galleries (major gratitude here!) but as I'm working on this new body of work there are feelings of self doubt creeping in. What if no one likes them? Are they too decorative? Too crafty? Will people think I've put too much of "myself" into the work? What if they don't sell? I don't think I'll put a sneak peak here tomorrow after all. I think I'll wait until I get more of the series done and then maybe post a few photos. I might even wait and debut them all at once-perhaps a gallery show?