Thursday, July 21, 2011

The Week as Art. The Process.

I was so excited when I was asked by Create Mixed Media to create "the week as art" this week. As a fine artist who loves to dabble in mixed media this was a great opportunity to share my vision and process. I decided to make seven little assemblages using a wide range of materials.


I included background papers that I created myself. I usually make a few of these before I start a painting to loosen up, so I have plenty to choose from. I also used scraps and bits of other work and canvases that I've cut up to re use in other projects.


Magazine pages were also used. Images of textures and numbers. I also incorporated natural elements and some ephemera. An old key also found its way into my take on the calender.


Here you can see for #19 (above) I used one of my mixed media paintings on a stretched canvas and covered a section of it with a piece of loose canvas onto which I painted a realistic shell on some sand. The number 19 was traced onto a piece of tracing paper and taped on. I photographed it and then disassembled the whole thing.


Here is one of the set ups I used for #20 using one of my journals open to a painted page with the elements placed in a pleasing manner. I only used the right side of the shot for the final image.


Of course it's always nice to have a studio helper to get the work done. Working on "the week as art" was a very enjoyable experience and I'm thinking there might be a book in my future.

Check out Create Mixed Media as it's a great resource for all things mixed media. You can see the full seven days of the calender here.