Monday, December 1, 2014

Go With the Flow.

When I need a break from painting but still want to keep my creative flow going I turn to journal pages. Many artists keep sketchbooks to jot down ideas, keep scraps of ephemera, tear sheets from magazines (old school Pinterest) to doodle or scrap book.  

I've started different journals and sketchbooks over the years but have found that I prefer to work on loose sheets. Sometimes I'll bind them into a book when I have a nice collection, or just keep them as is, or frame them and give them away as gifts.

It's a great way to experiment, play with mixed media and try new techniques. It's also quick as the pages aren't too large. I can work on many at one time and can usually finish quite a few in a day. Instant gratification. I find it to be quite meditative while working on these pages as I'm working intuitively and the ideas are flowing. Art journalling is something anyone can do even those that swear that 'they don't have an artistic bone in their bodies'. There are no mistakes and those 'happy accidents' can be very beautiful. 








The images shown are from pages I created for 'Inner Works' an altered book collaboration I worked on way back in 2010. You can read about it here.