Friday, January 20, 2012

Old Masters Painting Class

Like most of you I started January with some goals that I'd like to accomplish this year. Some of my blogging friends even chose one word for themselves, to guide them throughout the year. If I were to choose a word for myself it would be Happiness. For myself, my family and friends. 

Learning new skills and growing as a person and an artist is something that would make me very happy. So when my friend Lynn told me that she was having an instructor come in to her studio to teach a small group oil painting, I jumped at the opportunity.


Traditional oil painting like the old masters did. We'll be learning the techniques of Peter Paul Rubens, and Antony van Dyck. Our instructor Alexander Dzuybko-Doyle will be teaching his skills to us for 12 weeks. Last night was our first class. We had an introduction to the style and techniques and then began some very precise drawing of a still life that was set up for us.

 Caravaggio
Still Life with Fruit 1601-1605

Peter Paul Rubens 
Portrait of Clara Serena Rubens 1616

As I've never had a formal class in painting and I've never, ever painted in oils, this is going to be a great learning experience and a lot of fun. I'm not sure where this will lead me in the future but I know that learning these new skills and especially the discipline that comes with them, will certainly help me in life and in my artistic journey. And that to me equals happiness. I'll definitely be taking my camera along to the classes and will share the painting as it progresses.