Saturday, January 2, 2010

Blossoming

Blossoming 40x40 Acrylic on Canvas
$2300.
Email me to purchase.

And so we've passed into a new year and a new decade. The winter solstice has come and gone and the daylight hours are getting longer instead of shorter. The promise of spring is near, although it's hard to believe on this incredibly frigid morning. I woke up today with my heart full of gratitude and a renewed spirit.

Last night we watched Julie and Julia, the Meryl Streep, Amy Adams flick about the French Chef Julia Child's start in the cooking industry and the turning 30 Julie Powell who cooks and blogs her way through Child's cookbook. I found it to be not only a delightful story, but quite an inspiring one as well. Find and follow your passion, don't let criticism and negativity slow you down, keep a positive attitude, and finish what you start, these are all the messages I got out of this story.

And so I began this morning with a coffee in hand and a brand new journal. I've started (and stopped) journalling a few times throughout my life and have never really given it the time and energy I could have. It wasn't what I needed or wanted at the time. Today, after a few chats about the process with a friend (Thanks Sherry!!) and a few weeks of thinking about what I will do with this year, I believe it's something that will be a useful tool for me. A new year, a new day, a new tool to help me on my journey of self discovery. After all, today is the first day of the rest of my life, right??