Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Inspired by Rachael



Today's post is totally out of the norm for me but I felt like shaking things up a bit. It's freezing cold here today. This morning when we woke up it was -13C with the windchill. That's 8 F for my U.S. friends. We don't have any snow yet as we are not in the snow belt but it's on it's way. On days like this I get very "50's housewife-ish" and feel the need to do some home cooking and baking. Nothing fancy or stressful, just laid back and throwing things together like Rachael Ray. One of the perks of having a home studio is multi-tasking, and besides having the oven on warms up our little apartment very nicely.

I'm a foodie!! I'm married to a foodie and our son's a foodie too. Although he's been mostly into the eating part lately, he does make a mean bananas flambe. So today in between layers of gesso and gel medium, and waiting for my paint to dry, I've been in the kitchen whipping up a big pot of Spicey Tortellini Tomato Soup. It's very yummy and warms your soul on a cold day. I've included my easy recipe for all you other foodies out there.

1 large onion, chopped
3-4 large cloves of garlic, chopped
1 tblsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 796ml/28oz can of whole plum tomatoes
1 900ml container of chicken broth
1 700gr package frozen tortellini
salt and pepper to taste
1 large bayleaf
1 tsp dried oregano
1tsp dried basil
1 tsp red pepper flakes

In a large soup pot, heat onions on medium heat in olive oil until transparent, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic. Add tomatoes and broth. Bring to boil. Add salt and pepper and spices. Turn heat down to medium and simmer for 10 minutes. Bring soup back up to boiling and add frozen tortellini. Cook for 10 more minutes. This is extra yummy with shaved parmesean or asiago cheese on top. Enjoy.

Now back to some art!!