Sunday, February 10, 2008

Spring's Promise


It's understandable that I have spring on my mind these days. It turns out that this has been the snowiest winter in Toronto in quite some time. Years in fact. We got dumped with about 30 cms of snow last week and are having a very cold day today. The wind is howling as I write this. I am dreaming of spring and days when I can have the windows in the studio wide open while I paint and listen to the birds singing outside.

I did this painting of birches titled "Spring's Promise" last year and dropped it off at Art Interiors. They have quite a few of my paintings available for sale. They also send art "out" to be used in magazine shoots and television shows, commercials etc. I have been very fortunate to have quite a few of my paintings chosen by designers and decorators to be used in such a way. My paintings have appeared as a backdrop on the set of Cityline with Marilyn Dennis, and in numerous house tours done by notable Canadian designers. You can see a full list of where my work has appeared in the media section of my website. Spring's Promise was featured in Style at Home Magazine last October and most recently, is included in the 2008 Benjamin Moore colour brochure. I think it's become a favourite among designers because of the shade of blue that I used in the background and it seems to fit nicely with the current decorating colours and trends. This was something that I didn't realize as I was painting it, I just really like this soothing shade of blue. I have been painting more in my series of birches as I have gotten to be quite fond of painting them lately.