Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Another Tasty Tuesday

My easy veggie chili simmering in the pot.

All dressed with grated natcho cheese, sour cream, and green onions.

Have I mentioned that we are all "foodies" here. The Food Network is just about always on and we all like to get in the kitchen and whip up some wonderful creations. Today I threw together a pot of my veggie chili before I got into the studio to begin work. When my husband makes his famous chili it's an all day affair and we have plenty for freezing. Last time he did this we had 12 litres of chilli. Yum!!! However, I like to cook Rachael Ray style which is fast and easy. I threw this light vegetarian chilli together in about 20 minutes with ingredients I just happened to have available. Next time I make it, I'll probably have different ingredients in the house and it will be a whole new taste. I usually add firm tofu but as I was out, I added fresh edemame. I like to be adventurous and throw different ingredients together and come up with very stress free recipes. Do you like to cook? If you have any easy recipes that you'd like to share please feel free to comment here.

1 large vidalia onion, chopped
3-4 garlic cloves, chopped
2 medium carrots, chopped into small bite sizes pieces
2 small zucchini, chopped the same as carrots
1 package fresh/frozen edemame, shelled
1 28 oz. can San Marzano tomatoes
1 19oz. can black beans
2 chilis in adobo sauce (less for less heat)
2tbls. chili powder
1/2-1 tsp cumin
black pepper to taste
1 big squeeze of ketchup

On medium heat in a large pot, fry the onions for a few minutes just to soften. Add all the other ingredients and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes. Garnished as desired and enjoy.