Tuesday, October 15, 2013

New Urban Landscape Paintings.

Downtown Core 30x40 acrylic on canvas
$2000

In my series of tonalist cityscapes I explore the relationship between emotion and memory. A recent move to a new home/studio in the heart of downtown Toronto has ignited a passion to paint the buildings and streets that surround me. The buildings are representational but they are not site specific. They are vast, steel and concrete forms that are softened through my minds eye. Rather than painting the noisy ever changing movement and high energy that is the norm for the city, I strive to capture hidden quiet moments. My intent is to transport the viewer to a softer place where the hard edges of the downtown core have been removed, replaced by romance, peace and innocence. Each painting a soft focus moment in time.

The above is a short artist's statement that I wrote to compliment my ever growing series of Cityscapes. I managed to finish the six as I had planned last Friday. Not quite on schedule (see last post) but close enough.

This week will be spent selecting paintings for, and hanging my 'art wall'. This has been in the works for awhile now. Actually there are a lot of projects that have been ongoing that will be finished up and off my to-do list. Then I can celebrate :-)