Wednesday, November 11, 2009

A Single Word


A few weeks ago I met my friend Sherry downtown for coffee. It was a dreary, cloudy and wet day so after a little walking we found a Starbucks. Once inside it was cozy with the smell of freshly brewed coffee and pumpkin scones, and we settled in for a couple of hours and as many coffees. (Yay for decaf!) At one point in our creative dialogue, Sherry handed me an open bag and asked me to close my eyes and pick one of the treasures inside. I knew immediately that it must be her bag of "Rock My World" rocks. She had purchased them from the Queen of Arts's shop (aka Kim) and had been sharing them rockette style. Read Sherry's adventures here and how Kim started the "Rock My World" stones here.

I picked the stone in the photo above. I remember that with my eyes closed I could only feel the stones and really liked how this one was thin and long and different from the larger, rounder stones in the bag. Then I looked at it and the word painted on it. Expand. I chose the stone that I was meant to have. I believe it 100%. At the beginning of this year I decided that I'd step out of my comfort zone when it came to my art. I've tried new techniques and new mediums. I've painted new subject matter and I'm participating in new projects and groups. Changing, growing, moving forward. Expand. The word confirms what I know in my heart. I keep this little rock on my dresser along with my perfume from the Gap. It inspires me to keep positive, to do better, and I wonder about the person that found the rock that Sherry left by the tracks. Did that person find the rock that was meant for them??