Sunday, October 5, 2008

it's all for ART.

Chelsea Rooftops by artist Francis Livingston.
Arcadia Fine Arts.
New York.
Fixing the Gown by artist Malcolm T. Liepke.
Arcadia Fine Arts.
New York

It's been an artful weekend here in Toronto. Closing today is the Toronto International Art Fair which I attended as a visitor. This is the ultimate gallery hop as over 100 galleries from around the world participated. I spent a good 3 and 1/2 hours walking the aisles looking at art. Painting, photography, mixed media, sculpture, avant garde and installation. As you know by now, I'm partial to representational art and realism, so I tend to gravitate to the galleries that feature that style of painting. Galerie de Bellefeille's booth seemed different to me from past years as they didn't have as much realistic work as I was expecting. I was very happy to find my new favorite gallery Arcadia Fine Arts from New York was there. This gallery is a showcase for contemporary representational work. I spent a long time in their booth as all the paintings that they featured in the show were stupendous.

On Saturday evening, Oct 4th we had Nuit Blanche Toronto. A free all night contemporary art thing. From Sunset to sunrise the next morning, Toronto was transformed by artists. I haven't attended a Nuit Blanche yet but have heard from many friends that it's absolutely wonderful and "you should go!!" Perhaps next year I'll give up my nice warm bed and 8 hours of sleep to experience this event. After all, it's ll for art!!!