Monday, November 24, 2008

Another Tasty Tuesday



Smokey Turkey Grilled Panini

I love a traditional turkey dinner with all the trimmings. I don't however like eating turkey this and turkey that for weeks on end afterward. So I take as much of the meat off the bones as I can, put it in an airtight container and stick it into the freezer. Then a few weeks later I'll pull it out and throw together something that's fast and easy. Sandwiches are a good thing especially when they're hot and toasty and have big flavor. I threw together this Smokey Turkey Panini for a quick lunch. You don't need a fancy panini press to do this. I use a brick covered in tin foil and it works great. Here's my recipe but you can change this up with any ingredients you like. I just happened to have this on hand.

2 slices bread brushed with a little extra virgin olive oil
leftover turkey breast
a few slices smoked gouda cheese
Tabasco Chipotle sauce-to taste
a few leaves baby spinach
a few slices vidalia onion

Heat a fry pan on medium heat-I find a grill pan works best and gives you those nice grill marks.
Brush the bread with olive oil and flip over so that the oiled sides are on the outside of the sandwich. Layer your ingredients. Place sandwich in pan and put foil covered brick on top. Grill 2-3 minutes per side but check so that it doesn't burn.

I really enjoy cooking but it has to be quick and simple. I'm not into making big elaborate seven course meals or dishes that have a hundred ingredients. Let's face it who has the time!!! Sometimes I'll start out following a recipe but then change it up a bit to make it my own. Just like when I'm painting. If I feel it needs something here, I'll add it. What about you? Any wannabe chefs out there??

And don't forget to enter my Holiday giveaway!!!