Tuesday, February 19, 2013

New Cityscapes on the Way.

Wonderful news came this past Saturday. A painting had sold. Yay! Perfect motivation to get started on some new cityscapes.


Before I start painting on the canvas I try to get an idea of what colors I'll use, and work up some small color charts.


It seems almost appropriate that on such a cloudy day I end up mixing grays. You can get some very beautiful, subtle grays using Payne's Gray, Raw Umber, Yellow Ochre, Black and White.


Most of the cityscapes I've done so far are in cool tones. Grays and blues, very dramatic and moody.


Always challenging myself, I'll be using warmer tones in some of the new work. A very limited palette of White, Black, Burnt Sienna, and Yellow Ochre sounds like fun. On the easel is a small 12x16 study for the larger painting.


Here, I've started the under painting for two new cityscapes. This is just the beginning and these canvases will go through many layers of paint before they're complete. Stay tuned as I'll post when finished.