Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Frida & Diego at the AGO.

I went to see the Frida & Diego exhibit at the AGO for a second time last week. Frida & Diego Passion, Politics and Painting is an excellent exhibit pairing the artist couple.


Diego Rivera was an academically trained and prolific artist. Frida Kahlo was self taught and completed less than 200 works in her lifetime. Frida had a difficult childhood as she contracted polio and later suffered life long health problems after a near death accident. She painted many self portraits and much of her work depicted her suffering and spiritual anguish.


Personally I am not a big fan of her painting as I find it quite depressing but technically she had her portrait perfected. "I paint self-portraits because I am so often alone, because I am the person I know best." Her iconic image which seems to be everywhere these days, is a reminder of the strong woman she was.


The displays set up outside the exhibit were fun and much needed to lift the mood.